Wednesday, April 9, 2014

eARC BOOK REVIEW...Black Face, White Face by Mara Li


Title:  Black Face, White Face  
Author:  Mara Li
Publication Date: Dutch Venture Publishing (April 1, 2014)
Goodreads URL: HERE
Plot:   Nineteen-year-old Juliet has been suffering from nightmares ever since she survived a brutal attack on the Fallhallow National Bank. But she hopes to put those terrifying memories behind her on the day of the court trial. After all, with the criminal known as the Half-Face locked in chains, she will be perfectly safe… until he manages to break free, that is, and grab the nearest hostage he can get his hands on. 
What follows for Juliet is a long, exhausting journey through the harsh and unknown plains of Mongolia, forced to accompany a man who is as unreasonably violent as he is obsessively searching for his redemption.
Is the Half-Face insane and beyond hopes of rehabilitation? Or should she believe his own words, supported by the traditional shamans that this tattooed man seeks to consult, and accept that he is possessed by a dangerous spirit?

MY REVIEW: 

Going into this read, I had no expectations whatsoever. But boy was it something great!!

My first initial thoughts of this book before beginning it were, “is this s a forbidden romance of Stockholm syndrome?”. But no, it turned out not to be.

No, it was a story of absolution and redemption and finding yourself.

I liked how even through the harshest of situations and realities that both Juliet and “Half Face” were able to find a medium where they were able to bring out the best in each other and teach each other life's woes and whims.

I thought that they were a great balance as Juliet makes Half Face want to cling to the good and see the “small victories” in things and changes him for the better (and he for her).

This was definitely once of those reads where I am literally dumbfounded because I didn't expect for it to be that good and addicting that I HAD TO read it within one sitting! I will absolutely be keeping an eye out more from this author and if I had my way, I would have liked an even longer epilogue with more insight as to their physical and mental state of beings, but it did not pan out that way and kind of left me feeling unfulfilled and unsatisfied. I mean, I get why the ending turned out that way but at the same time I would have loved to see a glimpse of more instead of hanging and letting my mind wonder as to what was going on in the characters' minds.

So over all, a great and well developed read but I just wish that the ending wasn't so conclusive and abrupt. Great debut Ms. Li!

*I was provided an ARC courtesy of Jen Minkman to help promote her fellow Dutch writer, Mara Li. Thank you.*



My Rating:
-Overall : 8.5-9
-Plot : 8.5-9
-Writing : 8.5-9
-Characters : 8.5-9
-Cover : 7

Where to get your copy!:

No comments:

Post a Comment