Saturday, November 9, 2013

BOOK REVIEW...In the Beginning (Volkov Bratva, #1) by London Miller

Title:  In the Beginning (Volkov Bratva, #1)
Author:  London Miller
Publication Date: October 24th 2013
Goodreads URL: HERE
Plot:  Twenty-year-old Lauren Thompson left her small town in Michigan to begin a new life in the Big Apple where no one knows her name or the tragedy that had rocked her family fifteen years prior. With new friends and an intriguing new love interest, starting over is easier than she expected...but Mishca Volkov isn't what he seems. As the son of a Russian Mob boss, he thrives in a world of chaos and fear, earning the title of Bratva Captain through blood and pain.

When the two cross paths, lines blur and passions ignite, bringing them closer than they could ever imagine. Until secrets from the past threaten to tear them apart. Can they fight past their demons...or were they doomed by fate before they ever met.

**Book Two: Until the End Coming Spring 2014**

MY REVIEW:


description 

The good: Interesting plot and story line; likeable and realistic characters; and good pacing.

The bad: I would say this is bad but there were some grammar and editing issues but nothing big to distract me.

 I was super bummed with the cliffhanger though. Didn’t want it to end! ;)

My thoughts: So first things first, what attracted me to this book was the title (Volov Bratva) and these words in the synopsis: “the son of a Russian Mob boss.”

I’ve always had this thing for Russians (and even Italian) Mobs and Mafia reads so naturally when Ms. Miller (the author) asked me to review her book, I could not turn her down!

I loved how everything transitions and is paced. Nothing is rushed including the character development and their budding romance. Normally, a big pet peeve of mine is everlasting love occurring within the first days of dating or getting to know each other so I liked that this book took it’s time for their relationship to slowly develop into love.

Another aspect I liked, was the characterization of Mishca. I think that Mishca held and handled himself quite nicely throughout the entire course of the book. He was astoundingly tactful and reserved that it was actually believable that he was the Bratva “Prince.”

I also appreciated the fact that he does not contemplate in leaving the Bratva life just because of Lauren’s appearance in his life. I see that too often happen. Although it would be safer and easier, I relished that Mishca didn’t try to leave something he’s apart of for some amount of years just for a girl.

“Women can be a blessing and a curse in our world, Mishca.”

As for Lauren, well, I liked her too. She wasn’t weak, whiny, or annoying. She was very take charge and in the moment for me. I liked her stubborn tenacity to get to the truth and that she didn’t necessarily let her love for Mishca derail her from trying to find out the truth behind her father’s murder. I like that in a female heroine!!

SO, OVERALL: I do have to point out that this book is a rollercoaster with your feelings going in all sorts of directions. Reason being: this is not your ordinary romance. After all what do you expect with the Mob being in the picture and all?

ALSO...There were several inflections of suspense and mystery for me that left me questioning motives and directions of the story BUT all in all it was for good prospect.

Gosh, I am now super curious and excited for the next installment and want to beg for the author to throw us readers a bone in what we can expect next!!

I can’t wait and need more dammit! ;)


My Rating:

-Overall : 8.5
-Plot : 8
-Writing : 8
-Characters : 8
-Cover : 8.5


Where to get your copy!
Amazon

Smashwords

No comments:

Post a Comment