Monday, August 26, 2013

eARC BOOK REVIEW...No One's Angel by Kelly Walker

Expected publication: September 17th 2013 by Kelly Walker
Tess used to spend more hours than she’d care to admit playing her favorite computer game, using the nickname Angel. She could pretend her life was different, and she could pretend Arion was just a friend. But a girl needs more to keep her warm at night than pixels and she traded her virtual heaven for a real life hell. Now she’s on the run from a past she won’t talk about, and the only place she has to go is the doorstep of the friend she’s never actually met.

When Angel disappeared from their nightly games, it nearly destroyed Arion. He threw himself into work and women, but he can’t help knowing the one night stands will never compare to the angel who haunts his dreams. At first, when she shows up soaking wet and scared-shitless on his doorstep, he thinks his prayers have been answered.

But the more Arion tries to keep Angel close, the more her fear drives her away. If they are ever going to have a chance for a future, they’ll first have to deal with the past that hasn’t forgotten her any more than she’s forgotten it, and Arion will have to learn how to let her go.

No One's Angel is a New Adult(NA) Contemporary Romance about a girl learning to fight back, and a boy learning how to let go. It is recommended for mature audiences only due to language and sexual content. (HEA ending and cliffhanger free. Paperback Version has approximately 340 pages.)


"I gasp as I look at it closer. It’s not a picture at all, but a pencil sketch. Of me. Or at least the me he thinks I am. I—well my character, Angel. Sorrow fills my eyes, which is about the only thing of the portrait that resembles the actual me. My character in game didn’t have wings, and neither do I. He might still call me Angel, but my wings were clipped a long time ago."
Tess (Angel) and Axel (Arion) meet online through a game and develop a budding relationship with one another.  She goes missing from the game for a year and it nearly breaks his heart.  Now she reappears and she's right on Axel's doorstep.
......
THOUGHT OVERVIEW:

"In game, I was flawless and in control. In life, I’m lost."
"No One's Angel" was very different from Kelly Walker's previous books.  I admire that she tried to steer in a different direction BUT... two characters meeting because of their love for online gaming was a tad weird to build a relationship on.

Normally, isn't that what parents or others tell you to stay clear of because you can often attract weirdos?

Then again, I do see it happening in real life since people meet on portal sites such as Myspace and Facebook and end up going out so who am I to judge? ;)

SO MY REVIEW:


A decent, likeable read!! The plot was decent, and the pacing was alright, and the relationship between Angel and Arion was different and unique.

My only issue was the character personalities of both Angel and Arion at times. Sometimes they came off whiny, annoying, and needy. Especially Arion. 

"Even as her shoulders tremble, her eyes burn with determination. That’s the Angel I know. A fighter who won’t take crap from anyone. I don’t know what’s happened to her, but right now I know without a doubt she isn’t broken, maybe just a little bent. Somehow, I’ll fix this."
Arion, to me, had the makings of being an alpha male type of character (which I am obsessed with) but sadly fell short. He was confident and sexy YET he was also clingy and obsessed with pursuing Angel and trying to piece her back to the girl he once knew. Sweet yet kind of sad of you really look at it.





As for Angel, well, I didn't really think it was right for her to bring her issues and show up to Arion's door unannounced after losing contact with him for a while. Although I do get your reasons behind it and know that you do share this unusual strong bond with Arion I was a bit perplexed with some of your decision making. You runaway to someone and dump your problems on them is not cool no matter how strong your connection is.
"Arion was always more than just a guy in game, but I constantly told myself that was all he was, because that’s all I thought it could ever be."

SO MY OVER ALL VERDICT?....

I know, I know, you're all going to think I'm bipolar with my brief praise for this book and then descriptive connotations for this book but don't let that fool you on what I over all felt for this book.

But despite my criticisms here and there, it did not in any way take away in how much I liked "No One's Angel." It's a good story. Albeit, it has some minor issues with me but it didn't effect how immensely satisfied I felt from start to end.

In regard to my earlier thoughts of building a relationship in a virtual world with someone I have sort of recanted and realized that in some way everyone needs a way to escape reality and that's what took place for Angel. She was lucky that her gaming buddy turned out to be a winner as that is not always the case so props to her. I wish we all could meet super hot guys like Arion who are inexplicably devoted to you and will stop at nothing to capture your heart. *melts* 

So in the end....wonderful wonderful read!


"I want to give you everything, but I’ll start with my heart." 



My Rating:

-Overall : 8
-Plot : 8
-Writing : 8
-Characters : 8
-Cover : 9

No comments:

Post a Comment