Sunday, July 28, 2013

BOOK REVIEW...Fire on Ice by Dakota Madison (Fire on Ice Series)

He’s Fire on Ice and she’s afraid to get burned again…

“You always think a guy is going to be different until he’s not.”

Firestorm Center Kian Kavanagh dominates the ice like a rock star dominates the stage. He’s the hottest new player to be recruited for the Firestorm, a newly established professional hockey team in Northern Arizona.

After Taylor Thompson’s heart was completely shattered by her high school’s most popular jock, she vowed never to date another athlete. And she keeps that promise through her first three years of college by putting up impenetrable walls to protect her from heartbreak.

But after a chance meeting with the charming and irresistible Kian Kavanagh, Taylor’s carefully constructed walls are in serious danger of being burned down by Mr. Fire on Ice.
Published July 16th 2013 by Short on Time Books
So apparently this is going to be a series.  I know that it is implied in the title since after all it states "Fire On Ice Series," but when I had read the book description on Goodreads it did not include that.  Whether it's going to be solely on Kian and Taylor or other characters I don't know.  We'll just have to see won't we?
.....

"Fire On Ice" was just an okay read.  Nothing really that special.  It was like many of the typical sports romances that I've come across where the guy is a man whore jock with a crappy upbringing and the girl is an innocent soul with a tortured past.  Sounds cliche eh?

I don't mean to imply that this was a horrible read because it wasn't at all.  I just had a hard time with recurring themes I come across in these stories.

I also had a hard time digesting the sappiness that Kian and Taylor displayed for each other.  I mean, no matter what, I don't exactly care for stories where it's practically love at first sight and the guy changes his ways right away for the girl despite his reasoning.  It's just not practical and is quite annoying.  I want consistency.  Like in "Beautiful Disaster" by Jamie McGuire.  The guy was a play boy fighter who fell in love with the ultimate good girl.  He develops an automatic attraction for her but he doesn't change his ways right away.  He makes mistakes but develops a strong friendship with the girl first before they go out and fall madly in love.

I guess what I'm also getting to is how I'm sick of stories skipping the friendship/getting to know you stage before the characters begin to fall all over each other and act like sappy puppies.

When the characters fall in love so fast with one another in the beginning it really bugs me and is unrealistic in my eyes.

....
So my verdict:

OVER ALL, just an alright read.  I'm a bit disgruntled by the ending since it was completely rushed and Blake is still an issue to be addressed so I'm kind of hoping the book, "The Playmaker", is still on Kian and Taylor and not anyone else.  Who knows though.  The author only provided the cover of the next book and no book blurb so who and what it's going to be about is up in the air at this point.



My Rating:

-Overall : 7
-Plot : 7.5
-Writing : 8
-Characters : 7.5
-Cover : 8






Where to get your copy!



No comments:

Post a Comment