Wednesday, May 22, 2013

ARC BOOK REVIEW...Extinguish by J.M. Darhower

One… Two… Three… Four…

I Declare War

Serah always believed the world around her was perfect. As a Power, one of the warrior angels, she has spent her existence defending the innocent from evil. After tragedy strikes, tearing Serah's brother from her life, she's given the task of stopping the approaching apocalypse before it's too late.

Only one thing, though: she has to venture to Hell to do it.

Lucifer—or Luce, as he prefers to be called—has been biding his time in Hell, longing for revenge against those who oh-so-easily cast him into the pit. When the heavenly beauty shows up at his gate, he's just as captivated by her presence as she becomes of him. The attraction between them is palpable, and Serah's willpower slowly slips. How can this charming creature, this scarred Archangel, be the one annihilating the world she so loves?

As the war wages on, the world entwined in chaos, Serah starts questioning everything she ever knew. When the light and dark, hot and cold, finally collide, she has to make a choice—a choice that sets her world on fire, black and white exploding into colorful flames.

Serah has questions. She wants answers.
Luce just wants to play a game.
Expected publication: June 2013
So for starters, when I received an email from JM Darhower herself providing me with "Extinguish" for an honest review I literally jumped up and down with glee.

I've been a big fan of JM Darhower since "Sempre," my all time favorite read, and was waiting and waiting for another book to read from her.  Now "Extinguish" is here! *squee!*

Now ends fangirling and on to the review... ;)
.........

Is it so wrong to love? Well, in Serah's case it is.

The precipice of "Extinguish" was a bit cliche: two star crossed individuals representing the epitome good and evil fall in love in a forbidden romance.

Nonetheless, I still frickin' loved this book!!

From the beginning, JM Darhower automatically draws readers in.  I swear, the prologue had me thinking "OMG! what's going on? what's going to happen?!" due to it starting at the climax of the story.

There's a war brewing between Heaven and Hell and Serah and Luce find themselves in the center of it.  Serah is a Power, one of Heaven's warrior angels, who defend the innocent and fight against evil.  Lucifer "Luce," is well the Devil himself, so need I say more?

The characters of Serah and Luce in a way reminded me of Carmine and Haven from"Sempre" in some forms.  I mean, they're also polar opposites in character as Serah is innocent and forthright where Luce is troublesome, manipulative, charming, and cunning.

I was really drawn to both Serah and Luce's plight as they both fell in love with the wrong person on the wrong side of the spectrum.  I felt so bad at times for Serah since she was torn between love, duty, and doing what's right.  She was literally ousted as a traitor by her own 'family' and that broke my heart.

Luce, on the other hand, love was the last thing on his agenda.  Pre-meeting Serah, he had no hope for mortals and was annihilating the world while also declaring a war against those who caste him outside of Heaven.  Then he meets Serah and falls in love with her and is like, "what do I do now?"

Trust me guys.  The tension is so thick in this book it kept me on my toes!! Everything from the plot, the pacing, and the characters are brilliant.

The ending is so sad and left me unsatisfied and wanting for more.  Please tell me there's going to be a sequel?!


"It's not black and white.  If it were, I wouldn't be here right now, and neither would you.  We're the gray area, angel.  We're the pieces of the puzzle they don't know what to do with, the pieces that don't quite fit into their perfect little picture."



My Rating:

-Overall : 9
-Plot : 8.5
-Writing : 8.5
-Characters : 8.5
-Cover : 8

No comments:

Post a Comment