Friday, April 5, 2013

BOOK REVIEW...[ARC] Prophecy Girl (Angel Academy #1) by Cecily White

Amelie Bennett. . . . Ending the world, one prophecy at a time.

I was born to slay Crossworld demons. 
Big black flappy ones, little green squirmy ones. Unfortunately, the only thing getting slain these days is my social life. With my high school under attack, combat classes intensifying, and Academy instructors dropping right and left, I can barely get my homework done, let alone score a bondmate before prom.
Then he shows up. 
Jackson Smith-Hailey. Unspeakably hot, hopelessly unattainable, and dangerous in all the right ways. Sure, he’s my trainer. And okay, maybe he hates me. Doesn’t mean I’ll ignore the wicked Guardian chemistry between us. It’s crazy! Every time I’m with him, my powers explode. Awesome, right? 
Wrong. 
Now my teachers think I’m the murderous Graymason destined to bring down our whole race of angelbloods. Everyone in New Orleans is hunting me. The people I trusted want me dead. Jack and I have five days to solve the murders, prevent a vampire uprising, and thwart the pesky prophecy foretelling his death by my hand. Shouldn't be too difficult. 

Getting it done without falling in love. . . that might take a miracle.
Published April 2nd 2013 by Entangled
This book is either going to be a hit or a miss for some people. I experienced a bunch of mixed feelings towards this book.  Even though the plot kept in entranced, I found the novel to be somewhat cliche and predictable at times.

Amelie Bennett, an angel in training, attends an Academy that trains them to become guardians.  But HERE'S THE KICKER. She's not just the daughter of any angel, she's the daughter of Lucifer! Gee, what a shocker...NOT.

Aside from that, Ami is your typical girl trying to live her life with problems around every corner.  You know, typical teenage girl problems.  Oh and *cough* slaying demons while trying to defer a prophecy that is bestowed upon her.

Of course, it wouldn't be a love story without a love interest.  Cue in -- resident hottie/ new head trainer/ watcher Jackson Smith-Hailey.  Remember the prophecy I mentioned earlier?  Well guess what.. he's included in it.  Like I said, somewhat predictable.

In due respect, the characters are very likable and easy to follow.  I especially enjoy that White makes Ami to act her age.  Either the heroines are too mature because of some tragic event in their life or they're too immature because of naivety.  As for Jack, I love how White paints him to be a genuine character.  He's not some perfect guy who doesn't make mistakes.. he's real and I love this novel for that.    Their budding relationship can only be described as being magical.  I kind of look at it as being a twist on Romeo and Juliet.
 
Although a slow start, the story eventually picks up the pace and about two-thirds of the way in, the plot majorly shifts.  I believe though that White did this on purpose to gradually draw us in so that we would end up falling in love with the story.

After reading this book, I'm highly anticipating what will happen next in the sequel.

My Rating:

-Overall : 7
-Plot : 8
-Writing : 7 
-Characters : 9 
-Cover : 7

No comments:

Post a Comment